Designing a Better Heating Controller for a Heated Clothing Company.
OUR CUSTOMER’S ISSUE
A manufacturer of heated clothing was experiencing field failures with their heating controller. Safco was asked to assist in troubleshooting the reason for the failures and to recommend and design a new controller. Given the customer’s no questions asked, lifetime guarantee these failures were a serious issue.
- Safco engineers worked closely with the customer to identify the root issues of the failures
- The controller device had to support 16.5A continuous load.
- The in-line housing was very small and somewhat inadequate for heat dissipation.
- The current design allowed for the controller to be attached to the battery supply backwards. This backward assembly caused catastrophic failure to the chip and PCB.
- Further investigation suggested the current design allowed the user to connect too many accessories into the controller, overloading the circuit.
Through an innovative Safco design incorporating a microprocessor, the customer’s product was upgraded in the following manner:
- State of the art microprocessor with dual and single channel outputs was incorporated into the design that facilitated comfortable handling of 16.5A in a very small in-line housing
- The use of the microprocessor facilitated performance of the controller in the customer mandated operating temperature range between -40°C up to +80°C.
- The new design incorporated reverse polarity protection to prevent catastrophic failure if the controller was connected to the battery supply incorrectly.
- Overload/short circuit protection was also included in the new design to prevent failures even if the user connected too many accessories to the controller.
- In addition to these performance benefits designed into the product, the new design also provided better feedback to the user through flashing, multi-color LEDs. These flashing LEDs alerted the user of certain operating conditions and problems.
For more information about how Safco can help troubleshoot your issues, contact us today.
To print copy of this Project Profile, click the PDF icon on the upper right of this page or click here.
Related Safco Topics: